If you find yourself in New York, New Jersey, or Pennsylvania, either as a resident or a tourist, you might want to consider taking a trip down to the Jersey Shore, a fantastic recreational spot for tourists. Before you take the trip down there, you probably want to know exactly what’s going on there and what fun activities you’ll be able to engage in. Well, we’ve got your back on that count.
We’ve put together a list with some of the best activities to try out when you’re down at the Jersey Shore. Whether you find yourself at the Shore alone, with your partner or a friend, or even as a family, you’re sure to find something for you.
There are plenty of great things to do in New Jersey when it comes to fun, family, and entertainment — but axe throwing is definitely at the top of our list!
Click here or the image below and book your axe throwing session today!
The Best Attractions of the Jersey Shore
1. Take a trip to the beach: It’s best not to make any assumptions, but the beaches on the Jersey Shore are the primary attraction for most people, and a trip all the way down there isn’t complete without a trip down to the shore. Get sand between your toes, and take a dip in the saltwater. There are multiple beaches on the Jersey Shore, but regardless of which one you go to, you’ll have an awesome time.
2. Visit the Cape May County Zoo: If you’re on vacation in a new city and there’s a zoo, it’s almost an obligation to take a visit to see the animals. The Cape May County Zoo isn’t a slouch of a zoo either. With over 500 animals, there’s so much to see, and it’s a great place to visit in a group. You’ll be able to visit the zoo any day of the year apart from Christmas, and hey, it’s free, so what’s your excuse?
3. Visit a lighthouse: Being on the coast, New Jersey has the benefit of being home to a lot of lighthouses. You can take a trip to the Sandy Hook lighthouse, the oldest serving one of its kind in America. Climbing a lighthouse isn’t on everyone’s bucket list, but if you don’t visit one, how will you ever brag about the time you got to alight from a lighthouse? Plus, if you’ve got your camera along with you, they make amazing photographic subjects, the type you won’t find in most places you go.
4. Spend a spell splashing at Sahara Sam’s: If you love the water, but you would rather spend your sweet time with it anywhere other than the beach, then take a look at Sahara Sam’s Oasis, a huge water park. With a retractable roof, you can spend your summers in the sun, and your winters in the indoor warmth, so no matter what time of year you visit, Sahara Sam’s always welcomes you with open arms.
5. Stroll down the boardwalk: If you’re going to be on the Jersey Shore or anywhere near the beach, you’ve got to take a walk up the boardwalk. If you don’t know where to start with when in New Jersey, just do this. The boardwalk is full of different attractions of so many types: games, souvenirs, food. No matter what, you’ll always find a way to have a good time on the boardwalk.
6. Have a taste of the local brews: If you find yourself at the Jersey Shore without any pesky kids around, then this is a great experience to have with your friends. New Jersey is home to the Cape May Brewing Company as well as the Beach Haus Brewery, and between the two of them you can have a taste of the numerous local beers like “Mop Water” and the “Station 2 Station Porter”. If you’d prefer wine, there are quite a few wineries to appeal to your taste as well.
7. Have some lobster, New Jersey style: It’s no surprise that lobster is such a staple when you’re right beside the ocean. There are numerous spots on the Jersey Shore where you can have lobster like you’ve never had it before. Look around for spots like Quincy’s Original Lobster Rolls, or Val’s Tavern, where you can get some unique lobster-based dishes that you can’t get anywhere else.
8. Take a trip to the aquarium: If you’re anywhere near Point Pleasant Beach, Jenkinson’s Aquarium is calling out your name. Take a visit to see the numerous animals kept in the waters at the aquarium, like sharks, penguins, and seals! And this aquarium doesn’t keep themselves held down by only aquatic life. You can even see parrots and monkey at the rainforest exhibits, so it’s definitely worth a visit!
9. Make your own glass pieces: Everyone can do a little pottery and take home a clay creation of their own, but can everyone handle glass? You can, if you decide to take a trip to Hot Sand in Asbury Park. This is a great activity to do while you’re in the area because glass blowing isn’t something you get to do every day. At Hot Sand, you’ll get the chance to melt sand yourself and watch as you blow to create a glass sculpture of your own.
10. Watch the dolphins and whales in their natural waters: Being in the midst of nature can be a great and soothing experience, but being able to witness such mighty creatures gliding through their own waters is nothing short of breathtaking. Whether you bring a camera along or not, whale and dolphin watching is an experience that you’ll never forget, so if you’re on the Jersey Shore, make it a date to see it with your own eyes.
11. Have a bite from some of the iconic spots: The boardwalks on the Jersey Shore are home to some establishments which have been in place for ages, and so you know that whatever they have is good. For instance, everyone loves pizza, so the giant slices from Three Brothers pizza are a great place to start. The Chicken or the Egg is a favorite of New Jersey residents, and after a couple of meals, there will be a favorite of yours as well. You have the choice of several egg and chicken dishes to keep with the theme, but you’re not limited to that. Looking for something a bit sweeter? The Fractured Prune Donut Shoppe is a mouth-watering spot that offers you hot donuts in a variety of delicious flavors, toppings, and glazes; as well as an array of tasty breakfast sandwiches. Still, on the sweet beat, you can get some frozen custard for you and your friends from the original location of Kohr’s Frozen Custard. If you’ve never had frozen custard before, then it’s definitely a must-have.
12. Get maximum air on a parasail: If you’re looking for that adrenaline rush while you’re in the Jersey Shore area, then parasailing is one of the best options you can find. There’s nothing quite like finding yourself up in the air for the first time, and it’s a feeling better experienced than explained. The Shore is home to numerous businesses that will help you parasail for the first time, and they’re all fantastic, so you’re always in safe hands.
13. Be an explorer and embark on your first safari: The Jersey Shore is home to different safari experiences. You’ve got the Salt Marsh Safari and the Wetlands Wildlife Safari. Regardless of which one you decide to go for, you’ll have a breath-taking time seeing nature closer than TV could ever do. You get to see the most amazing of over 400 species of birds, from ospreys to herons to bald eagles on this cruise, and over 300 species of fish, described and explained to you by professionally trained guides. Don’t forget to bring your camera along to capture the wildlife and the wetlands of the New Jersey Shore.
14. Get your thrill from the rides on the Shore: One of the best things about the Jersey Shore for people out of town is the fact that there’s essentially a carnival permanently parked in the area. You can find awesome rides like rollercoasters and more tranquil experiences like Ferris wheels all around the area. You can be sure to have a great time at any of these ride locations all over the Shore.
15. Remember your trip with a visit to the Boardwalk Mall: If you’ve gone through most of the places on this list, you’ll know that all this fun will finally have to be capped off with your departure from the awesome Jersey Shore. Luckily for you, the Boardwalk Mall is the best place to pick up a whole array of souvenirs and have some last ditch fun before it’s time to go home.
If you’re going to be taking a trip to the Jersey Shore, either alone or with friends, there’s always so much going on. No matter what your interests are, whether you like calm activities like looking at animals or blood-pumping thrill like parasailing, the Shore has everything you want. So take a trip as soon as you can and have the time of your life.